About a half hour before Mike was to be home from work, River started screaming, and I came to see, and he was holding down by his "stuff" and crying hard. I held him for a bit, and when he calmed down a little, I asked to look at his owee, not expecting much. So I moved him, and there was blood! On me, on him, and I was surprised!
Today is the third day after, and it is closed up now, and no infection, after two herbal baths a day. And of course, he was still doing his silly acrobatics after his first herbal bath, playing with dad, and the next day.....can't keep those toddlers down!
How to make an herbal bath:
Then you take the "Tea" and pour it into the bath. That's it!
I make herbal bath tea bags in my business, but I didn't have time to make a few up and iron the bags closed, and anyway, I like the concentration of a good handfull or more of herb for healing uses, bulk works well for this. If I were to use my bath tea bags, I would have used three of them.
After you are done, you'll have some wet herb. After only steeping for 10 to 20 minutes, I re-use it, pour boiled water over it, in a big jar, or in the pot, and let it steep in the fridge overnight, for use in the morning herbal bath. After you are done with your wet herb, you can put some in your house plants, and outside garden, for organic nutrients in the soil! Also, if you don't consume all of your herbal tea, pour the leftovers in your house plants, they will thank you!
Some other herbs for healing bath:
Arnica (Arnica montana) used topically is a very effective remedy for bruising. I suggest using it in an infused oil blend. This can be used on perineal muscles and leg muscles if they are sore. Arnica in an infused oil form should not be used directly on the opening or any broken skin. It should not be taken internally unless in a homeopathic remedy.
Plantain (Plantago off.) has vulnerary, demulcent, anti-inflammatory, astringent and anti-microbial properties. Plantain can be incorporated into a sitz bath, compress, poultice or infused oil.
Calendula (Calendula off.) has anti-inflammatory, astringent, vulnerary and anti-microbial properties. This will assist with wound healing by softening the skin and reducing inflammation. Its healing power appears to be based in part on the presence of terpenes. A triterpene glycoside called calendulozide B exerts a marked sedative and anti-ulcerous action. Calendula can be applied in a sitz bath, infused oil and compress.
Lavender (Lavandula off.) is well known for its pain relieving properties and for keeping infection at bay. Lavender can be applied as a compress and sitz bath.
Chickweed (Stellaria media) has vulnerary, emollient actions. Chickweed is commonly used as an external remedy for cuts, wounds and, especially, itching and irritation. High in vitamin C and bioflavonoids, it assists in reducing scarring. Chickweed can be applied as a sitz bath, compress, poultice and infused oil.
Raw honey is a great remedy for first-degree tears. Honey's thick consistency forms a barrier defending the wound from outside infections. The moistness allows skin cells to grow without creating a scar, even if a scab has already formed. Meanwhile, the sugars extract dirt and moisture from the wound, which helps prevent bacteria from growing, while the acidity of honey also slows or prevents the growth of many bacteria. An enzyme that bees add to honey reacts with the wound's fluids and breaks down into hydrogen peroxide, a disinfectant. Honey also acts as an anti-inflammatory and pain killer and prevents bandages from sticking to wounds. Laboratory studies have shown that honey has significant antibacterial qualities.(2) Significant clinical observations have demonstrated the effectiveness of honey as a wound healing agent.(3) Glucose converted into hyaluronic acid at the wound surface forms an extracellular matrix that encourages wound healing; honey is also considered antimicrobial.
Aloe vera applied topically fresh from the plant has superior wound healing abilities. Allantoin, a substance in aloe vera, has been considered a cell proliferant, an epithelial stimulant and a chemical debrider. (The authors of some studies have claimed that aloe vera delays wound healing, but these results are debated.)(4) It has been shown that aloe vera increases collagen content and degree of collagen cross-linkage within the wound. Studies showed that collagen increased 93% with topical aloe vera treatment and 67% with oral treatment, compared to controls.(5) Because aloe vera has a high water content, allow the area to dry after application. If using a prepared aloe formula, the presence of preservatives may cause stinging.
Source: http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/herbspostperineum1.asp?q=herb*

2 comments:
When I was pregnant, I used to put the herbs into a large tea bag and hang it on the bathtub faucet. The hot bath water would make it a tea as the tub was filling up.
I planted some lavender plants this year and it looks like they may actually live (I'm so happy!). I want to plant calendula and chamomile too..
Thanks for reminding me of bath teas.. I'd forgotten. :)
Judi from www.mommamuse.com
Yeay, Judi! Sometimes I need reminders about the simple things I forget through the years too....:)
Chamomile is so wonderful to have in the herb garden, in the fall, it spreads so much, if you leave a bunch unharvested, you'll have tons growing all over the place! I haven't grown Calendula yet, next year I'll try. For now, I have to make sure I buy my herbs from a reputable source, for the ones I sell.....but for our own use, I had much Comfrey this year, and plan on adding at least 10 more that I haven't tried planting by next year. Yarrow is a great one to wild harvest on our property, great to take the leaves, mush them, and put on open cuts or wounds that won't stop bleeding!
Thanks!
Mama Cass
Post a Comment